Thursday, March 3, 2011

A trip to the hospital

A lot has happened in the last few weeks. Last Monday I ended up having to go to the hospital due to being dehydrated. I thought I had food poisoning (found out later it was going around school) and after vomiting for nine hours I called my doctors office. They told me to get to the ER. When I got to the ER they shipped me off to labor and delivery. I was given an IV and pumped full of liquids and anti-nausea medicine. It was amazing how fast I felt better. After a couple of hours I thought I was good to go, only to be told that I was having contractions! They were coming consistently and even though I couldn't feel them, they couldn't release me until the contractions had stopped. More fluids didn't work so they ended up giving me some medicine that is supposed to stop contractions. Ironically it's the same med. they give you for pain before you can get an epidural. Strange, I know. Anyway I've decided I can never be a drug addict, because narcotics and I do NOT get along! The second they put the medicine in my IV it felt like fire was snaking it's way up my arm. I was sweating horribly and the room started spinning. My eyes got very heavy and I was nauseated even though I had anti-nausea medicine. There was a nurse change over and the new nurse started asking me questions. I felt like I was in a coma, I could hear the questions, but could not open my eyes or talk. Needless to say this stuff made me feel almost worse than the stomach thing that started it all. Ten that night we finally got to go home. It was a long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment